Applications for this year will be coming online this week. last year the first 15 slots were gone in less than a second, so be quick, or wait until Halloween to find out how it turns out.
FRIGID New York's selection process is uncensored, non-juried, and entirely open.
FRIGID New York returns 100% of the box office revenue to the participating companies.
FRIGID New York offers thirty (30) Participant Slots no longer than 60 minutes in length.
- ALL Applications to FRIGID New 9/3 and Monday 9/4) and noon Halloween (October 31st),
- THE FIRST FIFTEEN (15) applicants to FRIGID New York will be accepted on a first come first served basis (last year this took less than a second, so be quick)
- THE second half of FRIGID New York participants are selected by lottery on Halloween, some in a drawing in Canada, and most at our Open Mic Downstairs at UNDER St. Marks.
- Applicants not selected by first come first serve OR by lottery drawing are put on a festival Wait List.
FRIGID New York has a $35 non-refundable APPLICATION FEE which will be charged to the applicant's credit card at time of application submission.
There is a maximum of one application submissions per company or individual producers. If any applicant is found to be submitting above the maximum amount, ALL applications submitted by that applicant will be removed from the process entirely, and application fees will not be refunded.
The FRIGID New York PERFORMANCE FEE schedule is as follows:
The PERFORMANCE FEE is non-refundable and charged to the applicant's credit card upon acceptance into the festival. All applicants agree to be charged the base fee or $750 on top of their application fee upon receiving a slot in the festival. The balance of the fee, $300, should there be one after assignment of a venue, will be charged in November upon completion of space assignments. Participant credit cards will be charged automatically.
There will be a request on the application for venue preference. FRIGID Staff determines the final venue assignment based on availability, venue requested and project suitability. Participants are not guaranteed their requested space.
Participants are scheduled for a five (5) performance slots, each limited to sixty minutes in length. Out of town participants will receive a bonus 6th performance slot.
Should a situation arise in which the participant must withdraw from FRIGID New York: Horse Trade must be notified before December 1st, 2013 in order to refund 50% (one half) of their PERFORMANCE FEE. No other fees will be refunded. The vacant slot will be offered to the Wait List. If FRIGID festival is notified after December 1st no refund will be issued.
- APPLICATION PERIOD: 12am September 4th, 2017 (Labor Day) until noon on October 31st 2017 (Halloween), Eastern Standard Time.
- LOTTERY DRAWING: Tuesday, October 31, 2017.
- MARKETING INFORMATION IS DUE from all participants: December 1st 2017.
- LAST CHANCE TO PULL OUT with partial refund. December 1st 2017
- TECH INFORMATION QUESTIONNAIRE DEADLINE. December 6 2017
- VENUE AND SCHEDULE ANNOUNCEMENT. December 14 2017.
- HEADSHOTS AND BIOS DUE from all participants: January 2018.
- FEBRUARY 14TH - March 3th, 2018: FRIGID NEW YORK!!!!
- PLEASE NOTICE THAT THE FESTIVAL WILL BE RUNNING FOR 3 WEEKS. Out of town shows are permitted to be available for any 14 day window within the festival.
THINGS WE PROVIDE FOR:
- Front of house services including box office staff and House Manager.
- One technician and one 3 hour tech rehearsal.
- PR and Marketing services for the festival, but you are encouraged to do some leg work on your own as well. (our PR guru Emily Owens is amazing, every show gets reviewed).
- Marketing opportunities for your show, like snapshots and The Open Mic Downstairs are highly encouraged.
IMPORTANT LIMITATIONS TO KNOW:
- Storage Space is very limited.
- No show can be longer than 60 minutes!!!
- Set up time for each show is only 15 minutes, strike is only 10 minutes.
- Our staff will do a live curtain speech before and after every performance, no exceptions!
- Rigging of any kind is not permitted.
- Any audience participation must be pre approved by the festival and is discouraged and limited for insurance reasons. ANY audience participation will require participant to provide additional insurance.
FRIGID New York was founded by Horse Trade and EXIT Theatre in 2007.
Having founded The San Francisco Fringe Festival - the 2nd oldest fringe in the United States - nearly 17 years ago, EXIT introduced Horse Trade to the Canadian Association of Fringe Festivals (CAFF) Model in mid-2006.
Drawn to CAFF'S main principle, "...to provide all artists, emerging and established, with the opportunity to produce their play no matter the content, form or style and to make the event as affordable and accessible as possible for the members of the community," Horse Trade was proud to sign on to the tradition, and thaw out New York's ideas of what a theatre festival can be. FRIGID is also a proud member of USAFF (US association of Fringe Festivals)
In true support of theatre on the fringe of the mainstream, the artists take home 100% of their box office, and the festival producers do not receive royalties from future performances. The festival's producers are proud to support self-producing artists' growth and future success.
The debut of FRIGID New York was a hit! With acclaim from American Theatre Magazine, Backstage, Playbill, Broadwayworld.com, The Village Voice, and United Stages, 29 theater companies featuring almost 250 theater artists from all over the world flooded downtown Manhattan for two weeks to peddle their artistic wares for over 2,555 ecstatic audience members! The fest received full coverage and acclaim from nytheatre.com, and was subsequently named one of their PEOPLE OF THE YEAR, 2007! The second year of FRIGID sidestepped the much feared sophomore slump and saw many returning artists, a 20% rise in attendance, a tripling of sold out performances and more great material for NYC audiences to enjoy. Another 20% icrease in attendence in the third year of the festival presented us with some exciting crowd control issues a wonderful problem to have so early in our festivals life. And records have continued to be broken in every year since.
Horse Trade, EXIT Theatre, and all of the hard working staff, artists, and volunteers of FRIGID New York look forward to seeing you and having you join us in this celebration of independent theater. New York City is an indisputable hotbed of groundbreaking talent. We're proud to once again provide this opportunity for ingenuity to thrive in a venue that values freedom of expression and artistic determination.
2 Theaters, 3 Weeks, 12 Days, 30 independent theater companies and over 150 performances... see you at FRIGID New York